Simplicity







Presumably you are aware; I want to be a role model - mind, body and soul. It's not just what's on the outside, I want to be a safe place where anyone can feel free to turn to. That's the bottom line. I originally started as a way to work on my communication skills. I have trouble expressing myself vocally but give me a pen and paper (or in this case, a keyboard) and away I go. I love to read so I combined the two. 

I try and surround myself with like minded people. You are who your friends are. Remember that one... parents. We had a business meeting about our direction yesterday late afternoon. Pretty common. As we were finishing up, I was walking out of the Wellington location and continuing the conversation with JL. It was absolutely beautiful out (finally!) and sometimes our conversations can run quite long. As we were trying to have a serious discussion - a car pulled up and was stopped due to traffic. It was two women in the front listening to music and a little boy with his head out of the car. 

As we try and carry on our discussion, we can't help but notice this little boy trying to get our attention. We had no choice to stop what we were doing and say hello to him. He didn't care about the music that was blaring, he didn't care about - I presume; the girl talk. He didn't care about anything other than saying hi to us. He wanted to make our day special. It was the simplicity of not having a care in the world that I loved the most. The innocence of a child. The mere fact, he wanted to put a smile on our face. The intriguing realization that he will grow up to be whatever his little heart desires. He has a lifetime of endless possibilities ahead of him. Life has a funny way of teaching us valuable lessons when you need it most. It's how you interpret them and more importantly, how you respond to them. We had no choice to stop the seriousness of our daily lives, enjoy a quick wave and realize he brightened our day. We then looked at each other and began to laugh. Sometimes, we need to realize that we take this funny thing - called life - too seriously. After all, we are the epitome of life balance.

I never shared this story (only with my closest peers). I was driving back home and came up to a stop light. I love to people watch and noticed a gentleman in an electric wheelchair. He was on the corner wanting to cross the street. As he arrived to the corner, it was unsteady and his wheel got stuck. You could see the chair was tipping forward and he was about to hit the ground - hard. I could see he was debating his next move. All he could do was tuck and prepare to roll. Of course, at this point, I had immediately put my car in park and ran out to help. How the heck was I going to help a 230lbs man up into an electric wheelchair. You don't think twice when you're running to someone's aid. I didn't care who was behind me at the light and who was beeping the horn because the light had turned green. Luckily, people came running out at the same time. I was happy I was able to help. As he thanked us and I went back into my car. I began to ball my eyes out, it was so bad - I had to pull over. I was so emotional over how helpless he was. I called my dad (daddy's girl) to tell him the story. He responded - my daughter, purest of pure hearts. Not afraid to fight someone else's battle. 

We can often take the little things for granted. Like actually being able to pick ourselves up when we fall. Here is a man, trekking along - making the best out of his situation and the cards he was dealt - who can't pick himself up when he falls. We take so much of the little things for granted. Like our health, our well being, our family, nature. Only when it's already happen to us and we are being reactive rather than being proactive. We are constantly narrowing down on what we don't have rather than focusing on the things we do have. We are fortunate to have. In that moment, I vowed to be forever grateful, blessed and appreciate those around me.

I've managed to plan out my entire life up until now. I like to be proactive. Sure, the unexpected always happens but how you react will define you. I'm a spiritual person. Making sure I never settle for mediocrity. How disappointed I would be with an average effort. Nothing excites me more than seeing people flourish, including me. There is too much going on in this World that this is exactly why I've decided to create my own World. Thanks for being apart of it, even for a glimpse. I love you x forever.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts