Rumour Has It

I value people.

I can't tell you how much I absolutely love what I do for "work". It's even unfortunate I have to call it work. I met up with a long time friend and FFF vet - James - this week. We were reminiscing. Catching up on the new and remembering the old. We've been best friends ever since we met. We're both extremely competitive. Although I'm not committed to a specific sport - I can play (and tend to win) anything. There is nothing I enjoy more than hitting a bucket of balls - as does he. It's certainly not new information that I value those around me tremendously. 

I don't even know how to begin with this one. I met James when he was 16 years old. I can remember our first meet and greet like it was yesterday. For those who don't know him, he's like a chiselled Greek sculpture. He works hard on that body of his and takes pride on his balanced lifestyle. He's competitive and a ball of energy. He can jump from one convo to another in a blink of an eye. His energy just transpires and not to mention - he has a heart of gold. I like to keep my circle small. Given the fact we became best buds at pivotal moments in our lives - me transitioning into womanhood and him becoming a man - we always have lots to talk about. The stories! The laughs! The tears! 

He witnessed my first heartbreak with my first love. When my heart was shattered into pieces - he told me to pack my bags - we were going on a road trip for some shopping in the States. That's all a girl really needs when she's heartbroken. All I needed was time away to mend my broken heart, collect my thoughts and pick myself back up. He's witnessed my ups- my downs. He was there when I needed him most and never left. 


Shopping in New York

Believe it or not, although people would assume otherwise, we were always just friends. He's always been a brother in my eyes. We had become best friends from the moment we met. We just clicked. When he had moved to Australia for a good year and had returned back home with what seemed like forever - I was ecstatic. Girlfriends are fantastic - you need girl time but I wouldn't be where I am without his insight and words of wisdom. He never holds back. His guidance on telling me to slow it down. Enjoy the little things. He constantly reminds me of my inner strength, my abilities to achieve anything I want in life and my passion. 

James has come a long way. I've seen him go through a traumatic experience and instead of allowing it to make him fumble - as it would most - it drove him to be at peace with himself. He found himself at a young age. I like the strong ones. It made him grow up fast. He's had bizarre things happen to him but it never shattered his drive, in fact it fuels him. I admire that.  

He often reminded me of my brothers whom I love with all my heart. Real recognizes real. He's a family man which I value. He's a great friend which I value even more. You treat people like you would your family. I have to be around people who aren't concerned about how much time spent - I need to be around those who value time well spent.    


More pics after the jump


At the grand opening of FFF Wellington in 2011
Playing volleyball with Mikey and James

Here with James' niece Louella as a baby

Comments

Popular Posts