Age is just a number.

No make-up nomination selfie

So perhaps starting off with a formal introduction would have been the proper start but I like to bend the rules. Please know that I am doing this for myself and I wanted an outlet to share my thoughts so thank you for reading and thank you for sharing. Your comments and messages have been nothing but gratifying. We live in a world that is surrounded by big bad wolves behind computer screens. I was raised old school - feel free to say things to my face, I can handle it. I'm twenty five and I am a General Manager of three elite boutique style personal training studios. By the time I was 19, I was managing our first personal training centre. You'd be crazy to think that was not a challenge. I'd be a liar to tell you it was all blue skies and sunshine. The struggle was real. 

Attending events with a baby face and bad eye brows. Having no idea what I was really getting myself into. Introducing myself knowing they thought I was just a child. Some didn't even give me the time of day. How would I ever be taken seriously? Not only did I have the challenge of being an ambitious woman in a man's world but I would have to deal with the "too young" stereotype. That didn't stop me. I had to rise to the challenge or bow down. At the time, I would use it as an excuse. Luc would often shut it down and say get over it. Mind over matter. He would tell me you have full control over your own mind. You allow it to think what it wants to think. Buddha says it best: To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man/woman can control his/her mind he/she can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him/her. 

Don't let a number get in the way of what you truly want. If they don't take you seriously, make them take you seriously. Aaliyah sang the song, age is just a number. My boyfriend is 12 years older than me. Did you know Jay-Z and Bey have the very same age difference. Brian Austin Green and Megan Fox as well as Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. I did my research when I contemplated moving forward with the man who turned out to be my man 2 years later. It's been a fascinating ride. You're probably confused. Valid emotion. I spent most of my crucial developmental life (becoming a woman)- single and focused. I dated but never committed. I have major commitment issues. There I said it. It's a thorough topic with many factors that I will get into with you eventually. The only thing I have ever committed to has been my career. I've been surrounded by men my entire life. Good looking men at that. Who care about their physique and their health. 

Before you jump to conclusions, Drake said it in his adorable song "I'm a good girl and you know it" or else Michael would've bounced a long time ago. I was raised properly with proper values. I had this fire burning within me that would never be satisfied. The men I dated were very successful but belittling. I was meant for greatness. They would focus their attention and would attempt to change me. Who tries to alter someone's existence? I didn't need someone to bring me down. I wanted someone to lift me up. I needed someone to see the big picture. Someone who would see the greatness within me. I stayed true to myself and had an idea of what I wanted in a man but hadn't met him yet. I'm no basic chick, I can be a lot to handle. Then I met Michael who turned out to be newly divorced and broken at the time. I loved every bit of it. See? I have issues too. 

My one true love - my career. The one I could channel everything I possibly could into it. The one I can constantly learn from. The one I can constantly be challenged from. It's within my control and I love to be in control. It's my destiny and my desire.  Men were a distraction, poor friends were a distraction, TV is a distraction, Facebook is a distraction but family is never a distraction to me (that's close friends and boyfriends too). I love simplicity. I love the simple pleasures in life and I love - love. I'm a tomboy at heart. I kick it with guys over girls or girls who act like guys. You'll often see me wearing no make-up (that's a chore and ain't nobody got time for that), hair pulled back with my black Converses on. I do things just for the hell of it. I'm a sucker for a good story. I'm the biggest sucker for good people and I can't live without a good laugh. Until next week xx 

Comments

  1. Wow Ashley! Great post! I love every one of them

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT?? Mike is 37!? he looks AMAZING

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, you are gorg & amazing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts