Being at the right place at the right time

My baby brother and I


That is Luc with blonde hair
I had been my little brother's biggest fan. He was a goalie for a local hockey team and my dad was the coach. My mom - would often ask me to attend with her and on try number 54 - I agreed. I was a pre-teen and hanging with my mom - just wasn't cool anymore. Nowadays - I call her just to chat and hear her voice. I rolled my eyes and said I would go if she bought me a blue slushie and a poutine. I would bat my pearly blues and she would say "fine". I had played the sport when I was younger - I know how cold it gets. Your toes and fingers feel like they are going to fall off. You also can't go to an arena with a bunch of boys and not look cute. If you've never watched the sport, you're not a true Canadian. In fact - you're also not a Lawrie unless you love the sport. I had played in my younger days but alas - I was becoming a woman (in my mind), if you know what I mean. I had been a tomboy for so long and finally started to care about hair, nails, boys, makeup and clothes. 

I was sitting in the stand, freezing my buns off - enjoying the heavenly poutine when I heard one of the new moms chatting about her hair salon. I was intrigued. I was asking her a million questions. She was chit chatting with a couple of moms, including my own mother - talk about being at the right place at the right time. She looked me up and down - loved my questions, saw my smile and asked if I would be interested in being a hair assistant. I would be able to get my hair done and get spa services done. Umm, best job ever. It's not even right to call it a job - it's practically offensive as a woman. Of course I said yes. I was ecstatic. I was telling my mom every day - have you called her? has she called you back? have you even made any effort whatsoever? Then it was the blame game to making it a deadline. I want to start this week. Of course, the meltdowns came. I am a pre-teen who knows more then her. She needed a push and if I had her number, I would've been calling her day and night. I needed to have this job. It was a pivotal moment. 

Momma bear
After I had forced my mom, while standing beside her, to arrange everything - she drove me to my first shift. It was all actually happening. I had butterflies. Then my mind started to wander. I was getting anxious and nervous. I was so quiet. All I was hoping was that I would be liked. I was going to be thrown into the mix with a bunch of alpha females. Oh no. I needed her to stop the car, I was going to be sick. "Mom, I'm not ready - maybe next week is better." We were almost there. My mother, being the sweetest woman you'll ever meet - was calming me down. I can get stuck in my brain, easily. I can over think situations to no end. I can outweigh the good and the bad. I can be overly obsessive when I set my mind to something. Some might call it a gift, I call it an overload of imagination. My boyfriend says it best: "Ashley doesn't have an off switch, just a sleep mode." 

We had pulled up to this beautiful Heritage building. It was immaculate - with a gracious Aphrodite statue right out front. My mother and I - both gasped. In that moment, my fears disappeared. I remembered, I wanted this more than anything - why would I turn back now. Excitement started coming over us. Never did we imagine this in a million years. Never did I think this would be my official first job. Most of the kids my age were getting McDonald's jobs part time jobs. Unlimited McFlurry's seems like a great deal to me but this was more me. It was a dream come true. When we walked up the stairs and arrived to the reception are - everyone was so welcoming. I had kindly requested to see the owner and if they could let her know - I am ready to be put to work. Said my embarrassing goodbyes to my mother as she whispered good luck in my ear. I was so shy and timid when I saw her but knew I needed to impress her. She hugged me. She had four kids of her own, I was in total awe with how she inspired me. Their dress code was all black and all I saw was beautiful women everywhere. 


Kris did this bow bun on herself
I had gotten to know the elite hair stylists, the ones that were the top dogs. They hated new girls. The stereotypes were certainly true. Some might crumble - I rose to the challenge. I was young and had zero experience. I would gravitate to the one I could learn from. Which was the head assistant. Her tricks, her presence, her questions, her hustle. She was full time and the top dogs loved her. Luckily, my best friend Kris was working as an assistant since grade 7 as well (I'm telling you - soulmates!). We'd share stories. Hard to believe she's been doing what she loves for like 14 years. She's even decided to take a trip to Paris and have her hair done by a world renown hairstylist. She is observant - she will watch him carefully and apply the same techniques. Can't wait to be her tester! 

I was completely out of my comfort zone but chose to have it challenge me rather then it defeat me. Something that scares you - always turns out to be worthwhile. People seek these moments their entire lifetime. Embrace them for they make you evolve. As a side note, If you've never used a hose at the sink - you've missed out. That thing has a mind of it's own and when not used properly - can soak up a storm. Which I clearly did on my first day. The head assistant would laugh and say - you'll get it eventually. Of course I would. This was my dream job at the time and would do anything to make it work. I worked there for four years alongside the owner. I love mastering my job. Experience is experience - you take it and run with it. Their are life moments that shape you and your destiny. Throughout the years, she taught me how to run a business. Why would someone spend their time showing me their tricks of the trade? I was so lucky. She would teach me everything about hair and business. She would cover payroll, management, systems, operations, accounting, etiquette, you name it. I remember seeing her fight for business. She loved her life. She was happy. I loved every minute of that passion, that drive to provide for her family. It all started with a dream that turned into her reality. How inspiring. I wanted my dreams to come true too - I just didn't know what it was yet. I was nearing but not quite there.


Comments

  1. Hey Ashley,

    Cool post. I can also relate to the passion of small business life. It's a great one. I especially enjoyed your description of having an overload of imagination bordering on obsessive when you set your mind to something. I've never quite heard it described that way, but it's definitely something I can strongly personally relate to.

    I think the act of writing is a great, and am a big supporter of blogging. If you ever have any questions about web stuff, feel free to ask.

    All the best and good luck,
    --Kyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kyle for being supportive! I would love any tips you could provide :)

      Feel free to send me a FB message!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts