Being CEO and Being in Love at 21

Hello!

Thanks for your patience, I've had a lot brewing. I know, I know, I promised more posts on my personal blog and thank you for the messages!

I know that I said I would be coasting this year but have you heard? I was awarded a new title - you're looking (I guess, reading!) at the new CEO of FFF. Not sure you remember, but this time last year, we had a new owner come in from the states and purchase our company. Exactly one year later, he appointed me as CEO and my right hand, Lindsay, as COO. I love Lindsay like a sister so this is definitely a dream come true. Our work ethic compliments each other and we just get each other. It's like working with your best friend.



I've had a lot of people ask what this means going from President to CEO - essentially, as President - I was in charge of day to day operations. With being CEO, I'm now in charge of the growth plan while still managing the brand. With that being said, we have so much planned for 2018 - it's exhilarating. I love that Jim (the owner of FFF) empowers women to be leaders. He has a few other companies in similar industries and they are run by women. You may have noticed a shift in society and i'm loving it. Did anyone catch Reese Witherspoon's speech?! AH-MAAA-ZING!

I had a moment of clarity so thought I'd share on that thought.

When I was 21, I met a very handsome and successful man. He was the president of a large company here in Ottawa. At the time, he was 30. When I met him, he completely swept me off my feet. I fell head over heels but had to play the game and he played it well. He was mature - very well established and promised me the world. We had been dating for 3 months when he asked me to move in and said he had a box with a key in it.

Now this is every girl's dream - right? For a man to take care of her? To sweep her off her feet and flaunt his lifestyle? You know pay her bills, live in a fancy house, and drive a fancy car. I wish more women kept it real. I know my tribe certainly does.

Here I was being offered what most women want. Right?

From a girl that came from nothing - sounds appealing, doesn't it? Did I ponder this? Absolutely.

It was a very comfortable lifestyle on a platter. While most of you are probably wondering why I didn't just move in and see where it lead me - I took everything into consideration. What this meant for me? He's definitely wanting to settle down. Am I ready for that? Where do I see this in 5 years? He was clear he wanted a stay at home wife. Do I want that? He wanted someone that was convenient for him. He loved the idea of me but would he truly love everything about me.

I stopped and thought. What do I truly want out of my life and what would make me truly happy - not fake happy. How can I make a difference and live a fulfilled life.

My idea of love is different from most. I love a soul. That's all I see when I meet someone. Let's face it, we all age. That's life. The one thing that never changes is someone's soul and the gateway to their soul - their eyes. This sounds hilarious as I write it but it's very true.



After much thought, I respectfully declined the offer. I explained that I simply wasn't ready for what he wanted. I understood what he needed to settle down and that we could date/hang out in the meantime. Hell, he was a year older than I am right now. I get it. He had everything in life but a companion to share it with.

I said I have my entire life ahead of me. I don't know what I want or what I want to achieve, yet. How can you possibly know at 21?

Of course, it lead to us dating on and off for a few years, eventually dating two women at once and marrying her and moving on with his life. We reconnected a few times since and there is no love loss. I have a lot of respect for him and I have never regretted my decision.

In fact, I owe him a lot. He inspired me to be great and I was inspired by his success. I saw him go from vice president to president to owning his own company.

Great personal achievements are what I wanted and what I dreamt about. I never wanted anything handed to me. This was such a pivotal moment in my life.

I can handle whatever challenges come my way but bet, I want to earn that shit.

I never wanted to rely on anyone but myself. You're in charge of your happiness, your success, your life. My dad never raised me to rely on a man or anyone for that matter. He raised me to rely on myself and be true.

True love. True friendships. True accomplishments. Real events.

All I know is that I am meant to be more than someone's wife.

It certainly paid off. Thanks for the kind words and the love, meant a lot to share this exciting time with all of you.

Love always,
A


Comments

Popular Posts