Comfort Zone

That dreaded comfort zone. We all like comfort but parts of us also seek a thrill.

My sister Melanie

It's been a few weeks now that I've been in my new position. I needed to get settled and focus my attention on this new adventure. I'm sorry I've been mum. I know you've been checking in - so thank you. I'm getting asked "how is the new role, El Presidente?" My answer? Certainly a ubiquitous position. In one way, it's similar to what I've been doing and in another - I'm completely out of my comfort zone. I will be honest - some days I doubt myself - some days I underestimate myself and some days I surprise myself. I keep looking for the right answers - to be told I have no road map - I'm creating my own path. This is a thrill like no other. Thank you for joining me while I create my own path and while I am stepping out of my comfort zone.

This weekend was incredible. For those who don't know this, JLB and Chelsea have been the promoters for the GNC live well bodybuilding show for OPA for the last four years alongside Chris Chenier. It takes a ton of hard work and months to plan. They run the show. With the right people helping make the show a hit. The athletes are inspirational. It's pure entertainment. My best friend and my sidekick for the trophy hand out, Kris. My girl Sarah was the MC for the event. It was a good time with my friends and family. The new friends we've made and the incredible success stories we've heard would make you shed a tear. There is so much more to this "sport" than most people will never know. They diet for 12 to 16 weeks out. They spend hundreds of dollars to look their absolute best. The countless hours of hard work they put into being on stage. They are beat down physically, mentally and emotionally. People don't understand the why until they are shining up on stage. They persevere. They stand tall.

My sister, Melanie, did something I could never do. Mel is the oldest of all of the siblings. I have so much more to talk about when it comes to my sister. I've been asked a million times - "when will you be on stage". I love being the trophy girl. I prefer being the one to say congratulations - you did it! Mel went and tried a different category. She had decided this out of the blue and worked hard to put herself out there. She decided to do a fitness skit. As all of the siblings were backstage - we were pacing back and forth. We were encouraging her (meanwhile our stomachs were in knots for her). In front of her, we were putting on a calm show saying - don't worry, you got this. It was her first fitness show! When she took her first steps on stage - my heart was pounding for her, I wanted to be sick. I didn't know what to expect. The siblings were more nervous than she was. What she did, took guts. Hands down. I couldn't be more proud of the woman she has become. The role model of a mother she is. The love life attitude she has. She takes these crazy ideas and turns them into her reality. She traveled to Hawaii this year, by herself, slumming it - just to say she could.

To leave yourself vulnerable to the world of judgement. Astounds me. These athletes deserve nothing but congratulations for putting themselves out there regardless if they win or not. You're all winners in my book, I would never have the balls to do it.

I got excited to see a friend of mine, Mel Viger (check out her instagram - you won't be disappointed: Muavee). I had met her back when she was starting out as a makeup artist. She had short hair - Rihanna look going for her. I remember seeing her pictures on FB and being blown away by her talent. We were hanging out and she told me that she had decided that she was packing her bags to move to Toronto. I was so shocked - I told her "you're gonna be big, I feel it". The mere fact she can adapt to change as quickly as she did. Understanding she needed to get out of her comfort zone to excel and move forward was mind blowing to me. She is now working for the Shopping Channel and being flown all around Atlanta, Miami, LA to name a few to work with models. She saw an opportunity and made the most out of them while remaining true to herself. Catching up with her this weekend was the same Mel I loved the minute I had met her. She had lost 20lbs and decided to compete in our show. She is an inspiration all around. She wants to be the full package. She is the definition of a hustler. She takes pride in her work, a job well done. She was my inspiration to take my make up course. If I can be half as good as she is - I'll be happy.

PS I got my certificate with a 90% final grade!

The trophy girls

See more photos below of the event (click on read more)




My sister Melanie taking the stage
I had to snap a picture of Mel V rocking her pose in her converse shoes before she went on stage

My brother Kyle and I enjoying a toast after the show
Kris, Mel V and I after she went on stage
Sarah F, our MC and I (best buds)
With a 90% on my transcript

Comments

  1. You did a great job this wknd Ash!! Loved seeing you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts