That shoulder to lean on

First and foremost – thank you for reading. The response has been heartwarming, I was utterly blown away. Never did I expect the kind and positive feedback you've given me so thank you. In the last three days, I've received close to 415 views on my first post and I was shocked

Ever take a step back and see how far you've come? You should. You should also know that you are to be surrounded with good people - the people who share common values, morals and beliefs. The strong ones. We are a unity - and we are one. There is nothing wrong with having standards and setting expectations. To get to know me on a deeper level - you have to know my surroundings, where I've been and where I am going. All in due time.

I'd like for you to meet Kris, if you haven't already. 


Photo taken in Feb 2010

I met my best friend in grade 9. I am one to preach you get what you put out in life however your kindness can be taken for granted. We all know what that feels like.

As for Kris? Trust, when push comes to shove – she never backs down and will certainly own up. She is my ride or die. My kind of gal. This is going way back - I seen a man that would not stop yelling and was extremely vulgar. I was scared for a quick moment but not Kris. She calmly told me to get out of the car and spat in his face "You never speak to a lady in such a way." Now also please know this is the only time I've ever seen her do that. Kinda gross but oh so necessary in that moment. She was standing up for what she believed in. What she thought was completely unacceptable. It's important for people to have your back. 

We grew up in two different towns and went to different grade schools. We heard about each other before high school even came around. Word got out - she would be the one to watch out for. I have to admit, we weren’t very fond of each other at first - practically rivals. She, ahem, can have a strong character and I’m a princess so you do the math. It wasn’t until I had a class with her childhood best friend that we started to hang out. We began to realize we weren't as bad as we had heard we were - perhaps forcefully in the early stages but all I remember is - you do what you got to do to stay relevant in HS. Funny how things work out - now I can’t even imagine my life without her. She was and still is- absolutely stunning. Always my #wcw and always my number one go-to. To give you a better visual - I guess you could say, she was the Regina from Mean Girls in High School. Props to her though, High School can eat you alive if you are not on point. I can't even stomach some of the stories you hear in the news about bullying, suicides, drugs. Life seems to get harder and harder for new generations. That's an entirely different topic. 

I really started coming around to her nearing the end of HS. She was funny – actually, scratch that– hilarious. To the point that I would be in tears every time I was around her. It's never been a dull moment with her. It's always an adventure - a life adventure - we could have a blast with a paper and a stick. 

Turns out, we are exactly ten days apart and both Virgos. If that's not meant to be, then what is. We most likely high fived each other at Montfort hospital. Definitely a long shot but I'd like to think that's true. How else would we be so in sync with each other. She was born on Sept 3rd and I was born on Sept 13th. I had never come across someone so in tuned with me. In spite of what others might see as a hard shell, she has the kindest heart that is only opened up to a selected few. 


The first time I realized her honest heart 

You have to understand that my grandmother was my biggest idol. Anyone that knew me - needed to know and understand this. This generation typically looks up to the Kardashians or Miley Cyrus and that's cool if that's your thing. I mean, they are beautiful and perhaps talented girls but not necessarily my role model. I put my grand mother on a pedestal. She was a class act who showed me the ropes and demanded respect without uttering a single word. That is hard to do! I admired her strength and her presence. She was a proud Scottish woman who idolized the queen. When she passed, I immediately shut down. Who was I going to turn to when life got hard? 

I remember that very moment I came to find out we had a few moments left to say our goodbyes – I was working and got the call. I carried on to finish my work and made sure everything was perfect so I could rush to the hospital - I didn't want to believe it was true - she had been sick many times before. Just on my way out, I got a call from Kris who was in tears for me because someone had posted a status update on FB. 

I knew in that moment, she would be the one I’d turn to when life got hard. She's always been my rock. She talks me through difficult situations - tough decisions - she guides me in the right direction - she expresses my emotions with me and even at times, for me. It's a blessing in disguise. Some times it's hard to hear the truth but it's even more hurtful to be told a blatant lie. It defies your character to withhold necessary information that is crucial and/or critical to someone's existence. Why do some people speak up yet others have no desire to do the right thing? Baffles me. Be compassionate and true, always. Just like my grandmother. 


In loving memory of Irene Lawrie
Now a little more on our adventures.. 

If you’re not a believer in horoscopes, that’s cool but we totally are. Our besties birthday trip - was our 21st birthday trip. We saved up to go to Europe from Sept 3rd to Sept 13th . I was in school studying Business and working three jobs. We would be in Amsterdam for her birthday and Rome for mine. She planned everything – all I had to do was show up. How amazing is that? She understands my busy lifestyle more than anyone. I love to work and am extremely proud of that but sometimes you need your down time – my body was telling me it’s time to rest. This was the first time I was leaving for ten days and my first time in Europe. My father sat us down and reminded us of “Stranger Danger” and that we can easily fall in love in the city of Romance. Which we did, somewhat. We met a salon owner – and for those who aren’t aware – Kris is an exquisite hair stylist so how cool is it that? We were asked to dinner by the salon owner of a beautiful salon in Florence. 

We felt untouchable – living on the edge. We remembered what good ol’ Alan had told us. When a situation felt awry, we were out in a heartbeat. Always trust your initial gut instinct. The best part - we toured all of Florence in a beautiful Porshe 911 turbo – we saw Florence how Florence needs to be seen – to which we count our blessings to this day. My boyfriend gave me full permission to discuss our dating stories, which I may do at some point.

When we got back from our trip - I had a sense of purpose. My brother had asked me: "what do you want most in life right now?" My response: "My independence." It was in that moment, I wanted to purchase my first condo and become a responsible adult. Yay me! Lucky for me, I had been advised when I was 17 that I needed a financial advisor. I had been surrounded by the most successful and influential clients who wanted to see me succeed. How could I not? I contacted him to see if I would be ready to purchase my first condo and got an absolutely! I fell in love with ones that were in the midst of being built and jumped on the band wagon – I’d have to only wait three months and was still able to choose all of the colors and upgrades I wanted. I was loving every minute of it. 


Top Right: Our matching condos with opposite colours - Bottom Right: Reese and Tolmie
I remember when I got the keys – Kris and I went to the condo and when we were laying eyes on my new kitchen – she hugged me and we began jumping up and down with pure joy, self accomplishment and excitement. 6 months later, she bought her very own a block away. Throughout our years of friendship - We've gone on many significant trips together that have molded us and solidified our friendship even more - Cuba, Bahamas, Miami, San Francisco, Belize, Honduras, Cayman Islands, Rome, Florence, Venice, Amsterdam and we've committed to finishing up being a quarter century old and going to Istanbul for ten days for another besties bday trip. Our motto is quite simple, work hard 110% of the time and rest. Just like interval training.

Life has so many uncertainties - we never wanted to be one of them. A year ago we got bernese mountain dog puppies - a male and female which turned out to be cousins. All we wanted was to have fascinating stories to tell our grand children about the true meaning of friendship wherever life might take us. I've come to realize you need to value those who matter most to you and love their flaws just as much as their strengths. It's about living a life of happiness, laughter and loyalty. 


Dis girl is my forever

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts